If you’re like most teachers, you probably have a few classroom rugs that are in need of some serious cleaning. But before you go out and buy a new one, consider how easy it is to clean a used rug by hand.
Assuming you already have a used rug that you would like to clean, here are some easy steps to do so.
Tools and Steps
To clean a classroom rug easily by hand, you will need:
- a brush
- a vacuum cleaner
- a hose
- a bucket
- Vacuum the rug to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Spot clean any areas that are particularly dirty. Spot cleaning a rug is easy. If there are any areas that are particularly dirty, use a spot cleaner to clean them up. Be sure to follow the instructions on the spot cleaner carefully.
- Give the entire rug a thorough shampooing. Shampooing a rug is the best way to clean it. You can use regular shampoo or rug shampoo. Be sure to follow the directions on the bottle. Fill a tub or sink with enough warm water to cover the rug. Add about 1/4 cup of shampoo to the water. Stir it around to make sure it is mixed in well. Place the rug in the tub or sink and let it soak for about 15 minutes. Use your hands to work the shampoo into the rug. Be sure to really get in there and scrub all of the dirt and stains out. You can do this by using a special rug shampoo or even just some dish soap diluted in water.
- Rinse the rug well with clean water. This will help to remove any of the cleaning solution and dirt that has been loosened. Be sure to rinse all of the soap off, as it can be harmful if ingested.
- Finally, dry the rug thoroughly. You can either hang it outside to dry or place it in front of a fan. Do not put the rug back in the classroom until it is.
Why Cleaning Used Classroom Rugs
There are many reasons why it is important to clean used classroom rugs.
Bacteria and Germs
One reason is that they can be a breeding ground for bacteria and other germs. A study published in the journal Science found that carpets can harbor millions of bacteria, including E. coli and S. aureus (which can cause food poisoning and staph infections, respectively).
Carpets can also trap other allergens, such as pollen, pet dander, and mold spores. These allergens can trigger allergies or asthma attacks in people who are sensitive to them.
Dirty rugs can be a source of allergies for students and teachers. A clean rug can help keep the classroom healthy and allergy-free.
A clean rug also looks better than a dirty one. It can make the classroom look more inviting and welcoming.
It is important to clean used classroom rugs because they can get dirty. If they are not cleaned, the dirt will stay on the rug and it will be difficult to clean later.
Reusing old rugs instead of buying new ones saves money and it is also better for the environment. When we use old things, we don’t have to use as many resources to make new things. And this is good for the Earth because it means that there will be less pollution and fewer trees will have to be cut down.